Subject: bug#9993: closed (Re: bug#9993: `vc-svn-checkin' needs "--non-interactive")

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 02:41:01 +0000

Your bug report

#9993: `vc-svn-checkin' needs "--non-interactive"

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
9993: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=9993
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#9993: `vc-svn-checkin' needs "--non-interactive"
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 21:39:49 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.0.92

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> or make vc-svn-command unconditionally add it
>
> That sounds right.

Done.

> We can add a comment in our code that --non-interactive is a workaround
> and that svn should do it automatically since we're using a pipe.

Gotta cater to the common use case of

  find . -name '*.pdf' | xargs svn update 

though. (http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2009-04/0094.shtml)

Maybe newer svn DTRT though.

Subject: `vc-svn-checkin' needs "--non-interactive"
From: Richard Copley <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 13:57:01 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When visiting a file in a Subversion working copy, if the repository
url is http and the server requires authentication for check-ins, when
you type "C-x v v" to check in (the file has local changes), Emacs
hangs (presumably svn thinks it has prompted for credentials and is
awaiting a response). To recover, it is necessary to kill the
"svn.exe" process and run "svn cleanup" on the (now locked) working
copy.

`vc-svn-checkin' should pass "--non-interactive" to the svn
executable. (Checking-in still won't work, but at least you get an
error promptly.)  As a workaround, set the variable
`vc-svn-checkin-switches' to "--non-interactive".

All svn invocations are probably potentially affected, depending on
how the server is set up. Indeed, I don't see why vc-mode shouldn't
pass "--non-interactive" to every svn invocation.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.91.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-10-31 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --cflags
-I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include"
-I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src"
-I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include"
-I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include"
-I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include"
-I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include"
-I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include"
-I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-2.10.1/include" --ldflags
-L"D:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-2.10.1/lib"'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENG
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Help

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t