Subject: Re: 23.0.60; left/right-margin property is not honored on word-wrapped lines

From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 01:46:22 +0200

Chong Yidong wrote:
> "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>>> The variable wrap-prefix can be used for this.
>> That is no good replacement. It does not solve the problem at the user
>> level.
>>
>> You are in effect saying that this should not work as fill paragraph.
>> Can you please give the reason for this.
> 
> The situation is not at all similar.  Fill paragraph inserts real
> whitespace in front of the filled line; you can undo this by using the
> usual deletion commands.  If word wrap were to make continued lines
> begin anywhere other than the left window edge, that would be "fake"
> whitespace that cannot be removed by the user.  That's not acceptable
> behavior.

We are talking about the visual representation. Are you saying that the
user will be fooled by the "faked" whitespace?

I do not think that will be the case here. Or, not more than the "faked"
new lines.

I just think that a visual representation where the continuation lines
are (visually aka faked) indented as the first line is a more useful
visual representation. We have already made that conclusion in fill
paragraph.

Typical use cases I can see is for example in org-mode or when editing
text parts of XHTML files.