Subject: bug#9987: [PATCH] groups,id: add -0, --null option

From: Bernhard Voelker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 08:35:28 +0200

On 09/02/2013 04:03 PM, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> I'd not updated the TODO, but the details in 9987 above
> suggested that -z, --zero would be better since most tools use that.

I'd personally prefer -0 because burning the -z short option may
be problematic for future extensions while the only use of
the -0 option in any program is "separate output by NULs".
But I'm game if you prefer -z.

> Also mentioned there was only honoring -z when the groups for
> a single user were being output. I.E. no double NUL stuff.
> But I'm not against the double NUL approach really.

thanks, then I'll keep it.

> It would be good I think to have a separate patch though
> that aligned with other systems and didn't output the
> "user:" at the start of the line when only a single user is specified.

Interestingly, groups(1) doesn't seem to be specified by the
OpenGroup documents, only id(1):
  http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/id.html
Is there any other resource?

But I agree, outputting the "user:" prefix for only one argument
seems to be silly.

Thanks!

Have a nice day,
Berny