Subject: Re: bug#9982: M-x load-theme does not change background color

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 01:36:35 -0500

> Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 21:51:33 -0800
> From: Brendan Miller <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> I think I've narrowed down the bug somewhat. There is something wrong
> with the (set-background-color "color-here") function. This is a
> regression from emacs 23.3 where that function works fine on the same
> machine.
> 
> I tried (set-background-color "black") and this function seems very
> erratic. It will succeed part way (not for all lines on buffer), but
> then fail to set the color back to white on the next call. Assuming
> that load-theme uses this function, I think this is probably where the
> bug is.

Can you show a screenshot with such erratic results?

set-background-color only sets the background color of the default
face, so if the buffer shows portions of the text with faces other
than different that specify the background color, set-background-color
will not change the background for those portions of text.