Subject: bug#9964: closed (Re: bug#9964: 23.3; Rmail is no longer able to display a summary buffer with no messages)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 01:46:02 +0000

Your bug report

#9964: 23.3; Rmail is no longer able to display a summary buffer with no messages

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
9964: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=9964
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#9964: 23.3; Rmail is no longer able to display a summary buffer with no messages
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 20:45:17 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.0.92

Thanks; fixed.

Subject: 23.3; Rmail is no longer able to display a summary buffer with no messages
From: Mark Lillibridge <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 21:39:53 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

    This is easy reproduce; just start Rmail on an empty file and hit
'h'.  Likewise, C-M-t on a nonempty Rmail file with a pattern that
matches no messages.

    Among other things, this breaks workflow in some cases.  For
example, if you have an rmail-buffer and its summary open, the later
window with focus, and are searching for messages, if you accidentally
pick a pattern with no matches, your summary buffer goes away and you
are left in a non-rmail-buffer which prevents you from just trying a
different pattern.

It also breaks the effect of:

(defcustom rmail-display-summary nil
  "If non-nil, Rmail always displays the summary buffer."
  :group 'rmail-summary
  :type 'boolean)

    I tried commenting out the code that checks for new messages, but
other things broke so more than a four-line patch will be required.  :-(

- Mark