Subject: bug#9960: Compiling Emacs trunk with MSVC

From: Christoph Scholtes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 14:38:41 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Why?? even cmd.exe is in peace with forward slashes, as long as they
> are in quotes.  What is the error message? are you sure the problem is
> with forward slashes, and not with something else?  If the problem is
> with forward slashes, how come invocations of make-docfile and other
> commands in lib-src/makefile.w32-in, which also use forward slashes,
> did work?

No idea. I will dig into this some more.

> Are you sure you are using nmake that came with the version of Studio
> that you are using to compile, and not some ancient version?

Yes. nmake from VS2008 Express, I checked.

> That way lies madness.  This worked with nmake for ages.  We cannot
> possibly change all slashes in all the makefile's, I don't even know
> any portable method of doing that, without breaking builds with a
> Unixy shell, which we also support.
>
> We must to get to the bottom of this problem.

I agree. It seems very strange.

> Is the problem with Lisp_Object or with intmax_t?  (You can find out
> if you change each one to some standard type, like `int'.)

intmax_t was missing, see my other email.

> Please remove the "static" part and see if that helps.

No. Did not help. See my other email for a potential source of problem.

> Yes.  You now have an idea how many water goes under the bridge in one
> year of Emacs development.

Just wow. ;)