Subject: bug#9960: Compiling Emacs trunk with MSVC

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 18:50:02 +0200

> From: Christoph Scholtes <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 10:27:50 -0600
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Please commit this, thanks.
> 
> Done.

Thank, but see my followup, with a better (and more correct) variant.

> Next problem:
> 
> emacsclient.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __environ
> obj/i386/emacsclient.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\
> VC\BIN\link.EXE"' : return code '0x460'
> Stop.

No idea about this one.  Seems to be the consequence of using -D_MT in
the compiler flags, but that was suggested by Fabrice, and I really
don't know why is that important, or even what does it do, exactly.
Does it work if you remove -D_MT from EMACS_EXTRA_C_FLAGS in
nt/nmake.defs?

Anyway, can you work around this somehow and get to compiling Emacs
itself?  That's the important thing here, not lib-src programs, with
all due respect I have to them.