Subject: bug#9960: Compiling Emacs trunk with MSVC

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 21:05:11 +0200

> From: Fabrice Popineau <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 20:56:11 +0100
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> Sure. feel free to adapt on the basis of the attached patch.
> Status is :
> - completely functional 32 bits version with xpm, gif, jpeg, tiff. Able to
> boostrap itself.
> - the 64 bits version compiles and dumps, but fails to bootstrap (seems to
> be looping inside elisp code).
> 
> Is there any interest in having a 64bits windows emacs ?
> 
> I have added two other files : a 64bits manifest for emacs.exe and a
> w32compat.h header file that is needed to compile the above mentioned
> libraries. In my case, this w32compat.h is included while compiling image.c
> for example.
> 
> Feel free to comment and adapt for the release version.

Thanks.  I think I made all the changes needed for the MSVC 32-bit
build.  You can try the latest bzr trunk, the changes are in revision
106533.  The next pretest of Emacs 24 is expected to be available
tomorrow, so if you can try building that and reporting back, that'd
be swell.

I'm leaving this bug open for now, in case I goofed and it still
doesn't build.

Please note that only some of the _WIN64 changes are committed.  I
didn't want to rock the boat too much during the pretest, and also I
really feel that we've exceeded the amount of changes we can accept
without legal papers.  (I'd really encourage you to sign papers at
some point, to make all this line-counting business unnecessary.)  And
I understand that you don't have a fully functional 64-bit version
anyway.  So I only committed those _WIN64 related changes that fix
what we already had in the repository.  The rest will have to wait for
after the release of Emacs 24.1.

Thank you for your help so far.