Subject: Re: bug#9960: Compiling Emacs trunk with MSVC

From: Óscar Fuentes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 16:59:15 +0100

Fabrice Popineau <[email-masked]> writes:

[snip]

> Also, to complete what I wrote previously about installation and
> redistributables.
> It is perfectly possible to compile a foo.exe program and link it with the
> current release
> of msvcrt (say msvcrt100.dll) and pack this library in the very same
> directory
> foo.exe is located. You can zip them together and there is nothing to
> install.
> Your foo.exe program will be dynamically linked with the dll that are
> located
> in the same directory, before looking anywhere else.

I don't think that distributing msvcrt100.dll (or any proprietary
binary) with a GNU binary is acceptable. But I'm not 100% sure, you'll
better check in emacs-devel.

[snip]

> So it seems that MINGW compiled programs are linked with the MS
> msvcrt.dll ?

By default, yes.

> But then, you would need to provide msvcrt.dll together with your
> binaries ?

Not really. msvcrt.dll is distributed with the OS since Windows 98,
IIRC. The Windows 95 users probably have it installed as well, because
so much software depends on it.

[snip]