Subject: bug#9959: 24.0.90; `count-words' command from a narrowed buffer

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 10:56:51 +0100

Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]> writes:

> Try the `count-words' command from a narrowed buffer (without active region).
>
> The message displayed in the echo area is "Buffer has X lines, Y
> words, and Z characters.", where the values X, Y and Z are actually
> computed for the narrowed portion (not for the entire buffer).
>
> So, this is inaccurate.  The message should begin with something like
> "Buffer (narrowed part) has ...".

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

Chong Yidong fixed this at the time.  The discussion then went on to
whether `C-u M-x count-words' should report data for both the
narrowed-to and total buffer.  That sounds reasonable to me, so I've now
done that in Emacs 29 (although the message is kinda wide).

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no