Subject: bug#9945: 24.0.91; crash

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 14:58:48 -0400

In GNU Emacs 24.0.91.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2011-11-02 on t520sds
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11004000
configured using `configure  '--with-wide-int''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: C
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

alas, there is little I can say except for this:

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00000000004bc024 in x_draw_bar_cursor (w=0x4fb5120, row=0x63a2a80, width=2, kind=BAR_CURSOR)
    at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/xterm.c:7336
7336	      if (face->background == f->output_data.x->cursor_pixel)
(gdb) p face
$1 = (struct face *) 0x0
(gdb) p f
$2 = (struct frame *) 0xeadc80
(gdb) p *f
$3 = {header = {size = 4611686018427388950, next = {buffer = 0x104cae0, vector = 0x104cae0}}, name = 24200881, 
  icon_name = 11995522, title = 11995522, focus_frame = 11995522, root_window = 83579173, selected_window = 83579173, 
  minibuffer_window = 16931237, param_alist = 18232646, scroll_bars = 79276293, condemned_scroll_bars = 11995522, 
  menu_bar_items = 16243317, face_alist = 111375046, menu_bar_vector = 18890757, buffer_predicate = 11995522, 
  buffer_list = 81026982, buried_buffer_list = 61902486, menu_bar_window = 11995522, tool_bar_window = 17336357, 
  tool_bar_items = 11995522, tool_bar_position = 12036642, desired_tool_bar_string = 11995522, current_tool_bar_string = 11995522, 
  face_cache = 0x1069380, menu_bar_items_used = 0, namebuf = 0xf6f780 "emacs", current_pool = 0x0, desired_pool = 0x0, 
  desired_matrix = 0x0, current_matrix = 0x0, glyphs_initialized_p = 1, resized_p = 0, force_flush_display_p = 0, 
  default_face_done_p = 1, already_hscrolled_p = 0, updated_p = 1, minimize_tool_bar_window_p = 0, tool_bar_lines = 0, 
  n_tool_bar_rows = 0, n_tool_bar_items = 0, decode_mode_spec_buffer = 0x41bc1e0 "", insert_line_cost = 0x0, 
  delete_line_cost = 0x0, insert_n_lines_cost = 0x0, delete_n_lines_cost = 0x0, text_lines = 143, text_cols = 193, 
  total_lines = 0, total_cols = 199, new_text_lines = 0, new_text_cols = 0, left_pos = 1366, top_pos = 24, pixel_height = 1896, 
  pixel_width = 1200, resx = 96, resy = 96, x_pixels_diff = 0, y_pixels_diff = 28, win_gravity = 1, size_hint_flags = 0, 
  border_width = 0, internal_border_width = 1, column_width = 6, space_width = 6, line_height = 13, 
  output_method = output_x_window, terminal = 0x10a29b0, output_data = {tty = 0xeadf00, x = 0xeadf00, w32 = 0xeadf00, 
    ns = 0xeadf00, nothing = 15392512}, font_driver_list = 0xeaf7d0, font_data_list = 0x1056ea0, fringe_cols = 3, 
  left_fringe_width = 9, right_fringe_width = 9, want_fullscreen = FULLSCREEN_NONE, menu_bar_lines = 0, external_menu_bar = 1, 
  display_preempted = 0 '\000', visible = 1 '\001', iconified = 0 '\000', async_visible = 1 '\001', async_iconified = 0 '\000', 
  garbaged = 0 '\000', has_minibuffer = 1 '\001', wants_modeline = 1 '\001', can_have_scroll_bars = 1 '\001', 
  auto_raise = 0 '\000', auto_lower = 0 '\000', no_split = 0 '\000', explicit_name = 0 '\000', window_sizes_changed = 0 '\000', 
  mouse_moved = 0 '\000', pointer_invisible = 0 '\000', vertical_scroll_bar_type = vertical_scroll_bar_left, 
  desired_cursor = BAR_CURSOR, cursor_width = 2, blink_off_cursor = DEFAULT_CURSOR, blink_off_cursor_width = 0, 
  message_buf = 0x4849d20 "\030\062D\364\377\177", scroll_bottom_vpos = -1, config_scroll_bar_width = 16, 
  config_scroll_bar_cols = 3, scroll_bar_actual_width = 18, cost_calculation_baud_rate = 19200, alpha = {-1, -1}, gamma = 0, 
  extra_line_spacing = 0, background_pixel = 13882323, foreground_pixel = 4734347}
(gdb) p *w
$4 = {header = {size = 4611686018427392056, next = {buffer = 0xfc6b10, vector = 0xfc6b10}}, frame = 15391877, mini_p = 11995522, 
  next = 16931237, prev = 11995522, hchild = 11995522, vchild = 11995522, parent = 11995522, left_col = 0, top_line = 0, 
  total_lines = 568, total_cols = 796, normal_lines = 11972335, normal_cols = 11972327, new_total = 140, new_normal = 48131119, 
  buffer = 54649589, start = 45737467, pointm = 45737187, force_start = 11995522, optional_new_start = 11995522, hscroll = 768, 
  min_hscroll = 768, use_time = 28420, sequence_number = 528, temslot = 4, last_modified = 5764, last_overlay_modified = 36, 
  last_point = 9268, last_had_star = 11995570, vertical_scroll_bar = 79276293, left_margin_cols = 11995522, 
  right_margin_cols = 11995522, left_fringe_width = 11995522, right_fringe_width = 11995522, fringes_outside_margins = 11995522, 
  scroll_bar_width = 40, vertical_scroll_bar_type = 11995570, last_mark_x = 11995522, last_mark_y = 11995522, window_end_pos = 0, 
  window_end_vpos = 56, window_end_valid = 11995522, update_mode_line = 11995570, start_at_line_beg = 11995570, 
  display_table = 11995522, dedicated = 11995522, base_line_number = 4, base_line_pos = 4, region_showing = 11995570, 
  column_number_displayed = 768, redisplay_end_trigger = 11995522, splits = 11995522, nest = 11995522, prev_buffers = 75144614, 
  next_buffers = 11995522, window_parameters = 70612758, current_matrix = 0x69b4280, desired_matrix = 0x7d252b0, 
  nrows_scale_factor = 1, ncols_scale_factor = 1, last_cursor = {x = 0, y = 156, hpos = -1, vpos = 12}, cursor = {x = 0, y = 104, 
    hpos = -1, vpos = 8}, phys_cursor = {x = 0, y = 104, hpos = -1, vpos = 8}, phys_cursor_type = 2, phys_cursor_width = 0, 
  phys_cursor_ascent = 11, phys_cursor_height = 13, phys_cursor_on_p = 1, cursor_off_p = 0, last_cursor_off_p = 1, 
  must_be_updated_p = 1, pseudo_window_p = 0, frozen_window_start_p = 0, vscroll = 0, window_end_bytepos = 0}
(gdb) p *row
$5 = {glyphs = {0x3d13690, 0x3d13690, 0x3d16f60, 0x3d16f60}, used = {0, 1, 0}, x = 0, y = 104, pixel_width = 6, ascent = 11, 
  height = 13, phys_ascent = 11, phys_height = 13, visible_height = 13, extra_line_spacing = 0, hash = 43, start = {pos = {
      charpos = 1545, bytepos = 1545}, overlay_string_index = -1, string_pos = {charpos = -1, bytepos = -1}, dpvec_index = -1}, 
  end = {pos = {charpos = 1738, bytepos = 1738}, overlay_string_index = -1, string_pos = {charpos = -1, bytepos = -1}, 
    dpvec_index = -1}, minpos = {charpos = 1545, bytepos = 1545}, maxpos = {charpos = 1738, bytepos = 1738}, 
  overlay_arrow_bitmap = 0, left_user_fringe_bitmap = 0, right_user_fringe_bitmap = 0, left_fringe_bitmap = 2, 
  right_fringe_bitmap = 0, left_user_fringe_face_id = 0, right_user_fringe_face_id = 0, left_fringe_face_id = 0, 
  right_fringe_face_id = 0, left_fringe_offset = 0, right_fringe_offset = 0, fringe_bitmap_periodic_p = 0, 
  redraw_fringe_bitmaps_p = 0, enabled_p = 1, truncated_on_left_p = 1, truncated_on_right_p = 0, continued_p = 0, 
  displays_text_p = 1, ends_at_zv_p = 0, fill_line_p = 0, indicate_empty_line_p = 0, contains_overlapping_glyphs_p = 0, 
  full_width_p = 0, mode_line_p = 0, overlapped_p = 0, ends_in_middle_of_char_p = 0, starts_in_middle_of_char_p = 0, 
  overlapping_p = 0, mouse_face_p = 0, ends_in_newline_from_string_p = 0, exact_window_width_line_p = 0, cursor_in_fringe_p = 0, 
  ends_in_ellipsis_p = 0, indicate_bob_p = 0, indicate_top_line_p = 0, indicate_eob_p = 0, indicate_bottom_line_p = 0, 
  reversed_p = 0, continuation_lines_width = 0, clip = 0x0}
(gdb) list
7331	      /* If the glyph's background equals the color we normally draw
7332		 the bars cursor in, the bar cursor in its normal color is
7333		 invisible.  Use the glyph's foreground color instead in this
7334		 case, on the assumption that the glyph's colors are chosen so
7335		 that the glyph is legible.  */
7336	      if (face->background == f->output_data.x->cursor_pixel)
7337		xgcv.background = xgcv.foreground = face->foreground;
7338	      else
7339		xgcv.background = xgcv.foreground = f->output_data.x->cursor_pixel;
7340	      xgcv.graphics_exposures = 0;
(gdb) p xgcv 
$6 = {function = 0, plane_mask = 0, foreground = 0, background = 0, line_width = 1, line_style = 0, cap_style = 0, join_style = 0, 
  fill_style = 0, fill_rule = 0, arc_mode = 0, tile = 0, stipple = 0, ts_x_origin = 0, ts_y_origin = 0, font = 0, 
  subwindow_mode = 0, graphics_exposures = 0, clip_x_origin = 0, clip_y_origin = 0, clip_mask = 44, dash_offset = 0, 
  dashes = 0 '\000'}
(gdb) where
#0  0x00000000004bc024 in x_draw_bar_cursor (w=0x4fb5120, row=0x63a2a80, width=2, kind=BAR_CURSOR)
    at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/xterm.c:7336
#1  0x00000000004bc51b in x_draw_window_cursor (w=0x4fb5120, glyph_row=0x63a2a80, x=0, y=104, cursor_type=<optimized out>, 
    cursor_width=<optimized out>, on_p=1, active_p=1) at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/xterm.c:7455
#2  0x0000000000454c85 in display_and_set_cursor (w=0x4fb5120, on=1, hpos=-1, vpos=<optimized out>, x=0, y=104)
    at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/xdisp.c:25389
#3  0x00000000004babaf in x_update_window_end (w=0x4fb5120, cursor_on_p=<optimized out>, mouse_face_overwritten_p=0)
    at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/xterm.c:644
#4  0x0000000000414511 in update_window (w=0x4fb5120, force_p=<optimized out>) at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/dispnew.c:3689
#5  0x0000000000416473 in update_window_tree (w=0x4fb5120, force_p=1) at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/dispnew.c:3326
#6  0x000000000041964e in update_frame (f=0xeadc80, force_p=1, inhibit_hairy_id_p=0)
    at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/dispnew.c:3253
#7  0x0000000000446444 in redisplay_internal () at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/xdisp.c:13230
#8  0x0000000000502bc8 in read_char (commandflag=0, nmaps=0, maps=0x0, prev_event=11995570, used_mouse_menu=0x0, end_time=0x0)
    at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/keyboard.c:2443
#9  0x000000000058f185 in read_filtered_event (no_switch_frame=0, ascii_required=0, error_nonascii=0, input_method=0, 
    seconds=<optimized out>) at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/lread.c:621
#10 0x000000000056e9d9 in Ffuncall (nargs=<optimized out>, args=0x7fffffffcfb0) at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/eval.c:2981
#11 0x00000000005a7546 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<optimized out>, vector=<optimized out>, maxdepth=<optimized out>, 
    args_template=<optimized out>, nargs=<optimized out>, args=<optimized out>) at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/bytecode.c:785
#12 0x000000000056ddfb in eval_sub (form=<optimized out>) at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/eval.c:2328
#13 0x000000000056e1f7 in Fprogn (args=<optimized out>) at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/eval.c:358
#14 0x00000000004fa18a in Ftrack_mouse (args=9971830) at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/keyboard.c:1264
#15 0x000000000056dfac in eval_sub (form=<optimized out>) at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/eval.c:2270
#16 0x00000000005704d5 in Feval (form=9971814, lexical=<optimized out>) at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/eval.c:2176
#17 0x000000000056e9ec in Ffuncall (nargs=<optimized out>, args=0x7fffffffd360) at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/eval.c:2977
#18 0x00000000005a7546 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<optimized out>, vector=<optimized out>, maxdepth=<optimized out>, 
    args_template=<optimized out>, nargs=<optimized out>, args=<optimized out>) at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/bytecode.c:785
#19 0x000000000056e489 in funcall_lambda (fun=9970925, nargs=2, arg_vector=0x7fffffffd538)
    at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/eval.c:3205
#20 0x000000000056e80b in Ffuncall (nargs=3, args=0x7fffffffd530) at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/eval.c:3035
#21 0x00000000005a7546 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<optimized out>, vector=<optimized out>, maxdepth=<optimized out>, 
    args_template=<optimized out>, nargs=<optimized out>, args=<optimized out>) at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/bytecode.c:785
#22 0x000000000056e489 in funcall_lambda (fun=9969301, nargs=1, arg_vector=0x7fffffffd748)
    at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/eval.c:3205
#23 0x000000000056e80b in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0x7fffffffd740) at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/eval.c:3035
#24 0x000000000056aadc in Fcall_interactively (function=18483746, record_flag=11995522, keys=50112933)
    at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/callint.c:859
#25 0x000000000056e9d9 in Ffuncall (nargs=<optimized out>, args=0x7fffffffd970) at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/eval.c:2981
#26 0x000000000056ec44 in call3 (fn=<optimized out>, arg1=<optimized out>, arg2=<optimized out>, arg3=<optimized out>)
    at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/eval.c:2774
#27 0x0000000000506f4c in command_loop_1 () at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/keyboard.c:1570
#28 0x000000000056cae6 in internal_condition_case (bfun=0x506bb0 <command_loop_1>, handlers=12047714, hfun=0x4fbae0 <cmd_error>)
    at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/eval.c:1499
#29 0x00000000004f9f4e in command_loop_2 (ignore=<optimized out>) at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/keyboard.c:1158
#30 0x000000000056c9c8 in internal_catch (tag=5150128, func=0x4f9f30 <command_loop_2>, arg=11995522)
    at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/eval.c:1256
#31 0x00000000004fb5b7 in command_loop () at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/keyboard.c:1137
#32 recursive_edit_1 () at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/keyboard.c:757
#33 0x00000000004fb8ec in Frecursive_edit () at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/keyboard.c:821
#34 0x000000000040fb0d in main (argc=1, argv=<optimized out>) at /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/src/emacs.c:1707

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Ubuntu 11.10 (oneiric) X 11.0.11004000
http://camera.org http://pmw.org.il http://mideasttruth.com
http://dhimmi.com http://honestreporting.com http://www.memritv.org
186,000 Miles per Second.  It's not just a good idea.  IT'S THE LAW.