Subject: Re: bug#9941: Handle truncated member names in LIBADD archive libraries

From: Bob Friesenhahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 12:51:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 3 Nov 2011, Daniel Richard G. wrote:
>> What happens if several of the original object file names are
>> identical for the first 15 characters?
>
> Oh, I was afraid someone was going to ask that...
>
>    $ ls
>    LongObjectNameIsLong1.o    LongObjectNameIsLong2.o
>
>    $ ar cru liblong.a *.o
>    ar: filename LongObjectNameIsLong1.o truncated to LongObjectNameI
>    ar: filename LongObjectNameIsLong2.o truncated to LongObjectNameI

I expected that this would happen.  Such long names are becomming more 
and more common, particularly for C++ projects with huge rafts of 
class libraries.

The next question is if this broken 'ar' can be replaced with one that 
works.  Fixing the broken 'ar' might also require replacing the 
linker.

While this system is historically significant it is not significant in 
terms of current usage.  It does not make sense for libtool to provide 
a workaround unless that workaround is assured to work.

Bob
---
Bob Friesenhahn
[email-masked], http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/
GraphicsMagick Maintainer,    http://www.GraphicsMagick.org/