Subject: 24.0.91; doc string of `goto-line'

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 16:18:32 -0700

Nowhere does the doc string say that a numeric prefix arg is used as the
line number to go to.
 
And it does not say that otherwise (no numeric prefix arg) you are
prompted for the line number.  And that in that case the default value
is the number at point, if any.  All it says is the last part, with no
mention of prompting and no exception for a numeric prefix arg.
 
And it does not say what line number is used for plain `C-u'.  It says
lots of stuff about `C-u', but not which line number is used.  You have
to read the source code to figure out that plain `C-u' acts just like no
prefix arg wrt LINE.
 
Sheesh.  Better just start over and rewrite this one.
Start by describing the behavior without a prefix arg.
Then detail the possible behaviors with a prefix arg.
 
See (emacs) `Moving Point' for a clear treatment.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.91.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-10-30 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --cflags
-I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include"
-I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src"
-I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include"
-I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include"
-I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include"
-I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include"
-I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include"
-I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-2.10.1/include" --ldflags
-L"D:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-2.10.1/lib"'