Subject: 24.0.90; unexec/unexmacosx fails with GCC 4.6.1 on intel Mac OS X 10.6.8

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 01:24:20 +0100

Hello!

Configuration with a modified configure script (see bug#9755) and compilation are fine, until it's time to create emacs from temacs:

	--- Load Commands written to Output File ---
	Writing segment __PAGEZERO       @        0 (       0/  0x1000 @          0)
	Writing segment __TEXT           @        0 (0x1b2000/0x1b2000 @     0x1000)
	Writing segment __DATA           @ 0x1b2000 (0x1dc000/0x1dc000 @   0x1b3000)
	        section __dyld           at 0x1b2000 - 0x1b201c (sz:     0x1c)
	        section __nl_symbol_ptr  at 0x1b201c - 0x1b2b08 (sz:    0xaec)
	        section __la_symbol_ptr  at 0x1b2b08 - 0x1b36d0 (sz:    0xbc8)
	        section __const          at 0x1b36d0 - 0x1b4b08 (sz:   0x1438)
	        section __data           at 0x1b4b10 - 0x349c92 (sz: 0x195182)
	unexec: unrecognized section name in __DATA segment

Before it was reported:

	2 LC_SEGMENT            736 __DATA             0x1b3000 0x1dc000
	                           __dyld             0x1b3000     0x1c
	                           __nl_symbol_ptr    0x1b301c    0xaec
	                           __la_symbol_ptr    0x1b3b08    0xbc8
	                           __const            0x1b46d0   0x1438
	                           __data             0x1b5b10 0x195182
	                           __static_data      0x34ac92      0x3
	                           __pu_bss2          0x34ac98   0x5418
	                           __pu_bss4          0x3500b0   0x8634
	                           __bss2             0x3586e4  0x2faec
	                           __bss4             0x3881d0   0x6564

So it's presumingly the unconventional __static_data section name that produces the premature end of dumping. The GCC 4.6.1 I am using is not supported and not modified by Apple – is updating unexmacosx.c worth the effort?

--
Greetings

  Pete

Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped.
				- Groucho Marx