Subject: Re: bug#9923: 24.0.91; `where-is' does not find recentf menu items (cmds, not files)

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 15:42:54 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> So IIRC `where-is` instead uses the "unfiltered" binding.  So you can
> often get what you want by being careful about the BINDING you put into
> `(menu-item "foo" BINDING :filter ...).

Hm...  but in this case, the filter returns all the items:

    (easy-menu-add-item
     (recentf-menu-bar) recentf-menu-path
     (list recentf-menu-title :filter 'recentf-make-menu-items)
     recentf-menu-before)))

And the command we want to get at with

C-h w recentf-cleanup

is in `recentf-make-menu-items' somewhere.

I'm wondering whether where-is could go at this the opposite direction.
I mean, the menu system knows how to expand all this stuff...  so...
could we ask it to do that, and then look at the results of that instead
of parsing the keymap ourselves in where-is?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no