Subject: bug#9918: 24.0.90; lazy-highlighting in Info mode

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 10:44:52 +0100

>> Then, I think that, in this case, a message like "end of the manual"
>> (analogous to "initial node") would be good, for the user to know
>> what's going on.
>
> This is possible to do with a small patch:

Looks good!  Thanks!

So, the remaining issue is to handle "initial node" and "end of the
manual", not as errors (they *don't* deactivate the Isearch), but as
informative messages.

As I pointed out in a previous post, I think that it would be
unsuitable to show these informative messages the same way as error
messages (with "[...]" suffix), because they have a different nature
(ones deactivate Isearch, the others don't).

I think that these two informative messages ("initial node", "end of
the manual") fall into the same category as the messages that are
added to the Isearch prompt ("Failing", "Wrapped", "Overwrapped",
"Failing overwrapped", ...).  So I propose to present all these
"Isearch flags" to the user using a common pattern. For example:
* "Isearch:"
* "Isearch [failing]:"
* "Isearch [wrapped]:"
* "Isearch [overwrapped]:"
* "Isearch [failing, overwrapped]:"
* "Isearch [failing, initial node]:"
* "Isearch [failing, end of manual]:"

It would add consistency to the Isearch visual feedback.

-- 
Dani Moncayo