Subject: bug#9917: bug#5042: bug#9917: 24.0.90; Make `goto-line' consistent with the line number from the minibuffer

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 15:18:45 +0200

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

> 1. leaves the existing 'goto-line' completely backward-compatible
>    (actually a small difference is that in a narrowed buffer it displays
>     now the prompt "Goto absolute line:" instead of just "Goto line:")
> 2. adds two optional args RELATIVE and WIDEN to 'goto-line';
> 3. adds two new commands 'goto-line-absolute' and 'goto-line-relative':
> 3.1. 'goto-line-absolute' widens the buffer and doesn't narrow it back;
> 3.2. 'goto-line-relative' is bound in Info mode to `M-g M-g'.
>
> If this is ok, then 'goto-line-relative' could be bound to
> `M-g M-v' and `C-x n g'.

Sounds good to me.  Drew objected to rebinding the keystroke in Info
mode, but I think that's probably fine -- nobody is ever going to refer
to an absolute line in Info.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no