Subject: Re: bug#5042: bug#9917: 24.0.90; Make `goto-line' consistent with the line number from the minibuffer

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 11:28:14 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> So I think it has to be a different command.  If someone wants to
> rebind "M-g g" to that new command, they can always do that.

I'm sympathetic to the idea of not disrupting anybody's workflow.
However if the keystroke isn't useful as it is today, then changing how
it works (so that it's useful) is an option.

So: Is `M-g g' (in a narrowed buffer) useful today?  `M-g g 2' will
almost inevitably take you to the start of the buffer, so that's not
useful, and I think is what people are complaining about, because it
just seems to...  unhelpful.

However, if people have a narrowed buffer, and are looking at (say) the
compilation output that says "error on like 45" in a shell, then `M-g g
45' will definitely do the wrong thing is we change the command to start
counting from the start of the narrowed region.

So a new command and keystroke seems warranted.  How about...
`M-g M-v'?   (The mnemonic is "goto visual line".)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no