Subject: bug#9917: 24.0.90; Make `goto-line' consistent with the line number from the minibuffer

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 19:42:04 +0200

Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]> writes:

> This discrepancy is quite confusing for users, so my proposal is
> obvious: adjust the behaviour of `goto-line' to make it consistent
> with the line number showed in the minibuffer, i.e, to consider its
> LINE argument relative to the narrowed part if there's one, or else to
> the whole buffer.

The suggestion here is to make the interactive `goto-line' go to the
narrowed-to line instead of the absolute line.  I can see the reasoning
here -- especially after `display-line-numbers-mode' was added,
displaying line numbers seems to be getting more popular, and having
`M-x goto-char' not going to the number you're seeing (if the buffer is
narrowed) sounds confusing.

But it is a breaking change -- somewhat.  `goto-line' isn't supposed to
be used in code, and isn't used in-tree, but who knows what people have
done out there...

We could bind `M-g g' (and friends) to a new command that acts this new
way?

Anybody got any opinions here?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no