Subject: bug#9917: bug#5042: bug#9917: 24.0.90; Make `goto-line' consistent with the line number from the minibuffer

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 16:31:58 +0200

> From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 11:19:11 +0200
> 
> 2. Re-bind 'M-g g' to goto-line-relative as many asked to do
>    with the reasoning that 'M-g g' should use by default the
>    same numbering scheme as is displayed by display-line-numbers-mode;

Two comments:

 1) display-line-numbers-mode by default behaves the same as
    line-number-mode
 2) display-line-numbers-mode has the display-line-numbers-widen
    option which disregards narrowing, so if you want to follow
    display-line-numbers-mode, you will need to heed that option as
    well

> 3. Leave the existing 'M-g g' bound to goto-line, but allow changing
>    the numbering scheme using a prefix arg and a user option.

I like this the best.

>    Or another idea: maybe it should depend on whether
>    display-line-numbers-mode is enabled or not?

That sounds wrong to me: there's no real relation between these two,
and having the same command behave differently in two buffers doesn't
sound right to me.