Subject: bug#991: closed (Re: bug#991: Emacs crashes when working with unapplied diff/patch file)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 01:51:02 +0000

Your bug report

#991: Emacs crashes when working with unapplied diff/patch file

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
991: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=991
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#991: Emacs crashes when working with unapplied diff/patch file
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 21:50:27 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This report is being closed because it refers to what is now an old
release of Emacs and there is no information for us to be able to
reproduce the problem. If you still see the issue with the latest
release, 23.3, please reply and we can reopen the report if needed.

Chong Yidong wrote:

> Please a recipe for reproducing this bug, including if possible the file
> that caused the crash.
>
> Also, Emacs 21.4 is rather old; I would suggest trying a more recent
> version of Emacs, as there's a good chance this bug has already been
> fixed.  Could you try that, and report back?

>From [email-masked] Wed Sep 17 09:37:28 2008
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Emacs crashes when working with unapplied diff/patch file
From: Michal Kovarik <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 18:37:06 +0200

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English, because the Emacs maintainers do not have
translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list,
and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

In GNU Emacs 21.4.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2007-06-19 on ninsei, modified by Debian
configured using `configure  '--build=i486-linux-gnu' '--host=i486-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes' '--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=athena' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -g -O2''
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

I created diff/patch file (using the cvs diff) and reversed the diff afterwards, but when I opened the unapplied diff and did <enter> on the line to be added, it crashed (Segmentation fault)

Recent input:
<down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> 
<prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> 
<prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> 
<prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> 
C-f d i f f <f3> <f3> <f3> <f3> <f3> <f3> <f3> <f3> 
<f3> <f3> <f3> <f3> <f3> <f3> <f3> <f3> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<menu-bar> <help-menu> <report-emacs-bug>

Recent messages:
Loading xrefactory (source)...done
xrefactory loaded
Loading regexp-opt...done
For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.
Loading view...done
Note: file is write protected
Type C-h for help, h for commands, q to quit.
Mark saved where search started
Loading emacsbug...done
byte-code: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer