Subject: bug#9891: 24.0.90; Duplicated entry at the info directory

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 20:55:25 +0200

>> I don't have an INFOPATH environment variable, but I've seen that,
>> inside Emacs, the value of the variable `Info-directory-list' is
>> ("c:/emacs/trunk/info/" "c:/emacs/build/info/").
>>
>> Each of these two directories has a `dir' file.  They are exact copies
>> from the emacs-trunk repository (with a single `Info' entry).
>
> Then I think the duplication in the info menu is expected. IIUC, info
> does not make any attempt to "uniquify" menu entries (the standalone
> info program behaves in the same way).

Aha, but then I wonder why the only entry that gets duplicated is the
`Info' one, instead of every menu entry.  BTW, the extra `Info' entry
isn't located next to the first one, but at the very end of the buffer
(just after the `SMTP' entry).

> I think the only remaining issue that might be a bug is: did the normal
> Emacs-on-MS-Windows build process create these duplicate directories,
> or did you do something to end up in that state?

My build process was pretty "normal", I think:
1. Get an updated version of the source code, storing it in
"c:/emacs/trunk/" directory.
2. "configure"
3. "mingw32-make bootstrap"
4. "mingw32-make info".
5. "mingw32-make dist".

FWIW: The above process was done from a Windows console whose PATH
environment variable has "c:/emacs/build/bin" among its directories,
where "c:/emacs/build/" holds a previous emacs build.

FWIW 2: With the official windows build
(http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/emacs-24.0.90-bin-i386.zip)
I don't see the duplicated `Info' entry.

-- 
Dani Moncayo