Subject: Re: bug#9877: 24.0.90; `report-emacs-bug' is even more broken now

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:16:54 -0400

> Not only do users still need to jump through the same silly hoops (edit
> the `From' field from its "...tickle" silliness, etc.), but now you make

This bug is still open indeed.  Lars said he hand an idea of how to work
around it, but I haven't heard from him since.

> And no, Emacs is NOT "about to send an email message"

Yes it is.  The message is currently in an Emacs buffer and it needs to
go to the destination host, and a command told Emacs to "do it".
So yes, it's about to send an email.  Maybe it will do so via the user's
MUA with some user interaction along the way, tho.

If you can suggest better wording, please do.

> Users reporting a bug with emacs -Q SHOULD NOT HAVE TO "tell Emacs how
> to send email".

Hmm... should I call that "mail client centric"?
There is no reliable way to send email in general without asking
the user.  It sucks, but that's how it is.  Please please please pretty
please stop bitching about it because there is nothing we can do about it.

> Emacs does NOT need to know how to send email if a user
> has a mail client.

What is that I see?  Oh, right an "if", great!

> And NO, Emacs will NOT record your selection and use it thereafter.  Not
> if you are using emacs -Q.

Then don't use "emacs -Q" to send bug reports.  It's an idiotic idea anyway.

> You need to totally rethink/redesign this nonsense.

And you need to totally rethink your attitude and use of the caps lock key.

        Setfan