Subject: bug#9877: 24.0.90; `report-emacs-bug' is even more broken now

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:46:43 -0700

This is ridiculous.  Can't you define a simple UI for sending a bug
report using emacs -Q?  It goes from bad to worse!
 
Not only do users still need to jump through the same silly hoops (edit
the `From' field from its "...tickle" silliness, etc.), but now you make
them answer another question, with 4 paragraphs(!) of explanation to try
to make it clear.  Those paragraphs alone should be a signal to you that
you are on the WRONG TRACK.
 
 "Send mail via: 
 
  Emacs is about to send an email message, but it has not been
  configured for sending email.  To tell Emacs how to send email:
 
  - Type `mail client' to start your default email client and
    pass it the message text.
 
  - Type `smtp' to send mail directly to an "outgoing mail" server.
    (Emacs may prompt you for SMTP settings).
 
  Emacs will record your selection and will use it thereafter.
  To change it later, customize the option `send-mail-function'."
 
And no, Emacs is NOT "about to send an email message" - not if you use
your own mail client.  You are still so Gnus-centric that you cannot see
the forest for the trees.
 
Users reporting a bug with emacs -Q SHOULD NOT HAVE TO "tell Emacs how
to send email".  Emacs does NOT need to know how to send email if a user
has a mail client.  And Emacs does NOT need to SEND email in that case.
 
And NO, Emacs will NOT record your selection and use it thereafter.  Not
if you are using emacs -Q.
 
This boilerplate is totally inappropriate for emacs -Q, and it should be
removed even when a user init file is used.
 
You need to totally rethink/redesign this nonsense.  There was ZERO
problem in prior Emacs releases: Users could send a bug report using
emacs -Q without jumping through ANY hoops.  This is only a regression.
 
You made a giant leap BACKWARD.  Now you've moved even further BACKWARD.
And you're still headed BACKWARD.
 
Try to think of the USERS.  Think of a newbie who tries to help you by
sending a bug report using emacs -Q (as you request).  And stop thinking
so much about promoting Emacs as an email client - that has, apparently,
been behind all of this misguided silliness.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.90.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-10-24 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --cflags
-I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include"
-I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src"
-I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include"
-I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include"
-I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include"
-I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include"
-I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include"
-I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-2.10.1/include" --ldflags
-L"D:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-2.10.1/lib"'