Subject: Re: bug#9873: 24.0.90; dired - window changes size when trying to delete more than one file

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 11:51:12 +0200

> Well, how about explaining why this variable was introduced, for
 > starters?  What problem(s) did its introduction try to solve?

Its introduction modifies the behavior of splitting, resizing and
deleting windows in the order described in the example in the manual.
Bug reports #1806 and #9873 confirm that the behavior of Emacs 23 in
this regard is problematic, at least

 > Sorry, I don't get the drift.  What do you mean by "resizing W"? how
 > can one resize "a vertical combination" of 2 or 3 windows, which AFAIU
 > is just a node in the window tree, not a live window that is displayed
 > on a frame?

You won't get the drift as long as you insist that an internal window is
"just a node in the window tree".

 > I mean, I can resize W1, W2, or W3, but how do I resize
 > their combination?

By resizing their parent window or a sibling of their parent window.  Or
by resizing the containing frame.  Or by resizing the minibuffer window.

martin