Subject: Re: hello project web page includes libc and autotools manuals?

From: Mike Frysinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 07:36:35 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 23:16:18 +0000, [email-masked] wrote:
> There were several messages on several lists about the crazy url's
> relating to cross references from one Texinfo manual to another, like
> http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/emacs/
>
> I've explained this a number of times in a number of places, but
> apparently not enough times and not the right places :).
>
> The bad news is that there is no good way to fix this immediately.
> We'll just have to keep living with these weird url's, as we have been
> for many years already.
>
> The good news is that the next release of Texinfo does fix this in the
> right way, such that cross-manual references will end up going to the
> real manual, as in
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/etc...
>
> I hope that we will make the first pretest for the next Texinfo within a
> few days, perhaps next week.  At that point, it should be feasible to
> use it to (re)generate HTML, if nothing else.  It would also be very
> helpful testing from my Texinfo-maintainer perspective :).
>
> I've been using the development Texinfo to create the HTML for new
> versions of the GNU Coding Standards and Maintainer Information (and of
> the latest GNU Hello release), so at least the thing is basically
> functional.
>
> Of course, another (ugly) option is to post-process the generated HTML
> to change the links.  If anyone cares, I can send the scripts I used to
> do that before the new Texinfo was far enough along.

from what i can tell, there's no action required for libtool here ?

we aren't including any manuals in the libtool site.  those URIs work
because we've setup syminks, not because we copied content over.

$ cd htdocs/libtool/manual
$ cat .symlinks
/software/autoconf/manual/html_node     autoconf
/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf.html autoconf.html
/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf.pdf  autoconf.pdf
/software/automake/manual/html_node     automake
/software/automake/manual/automake.html automake.html
/software/automake/manual/automake.pdf  automake.pdf
/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs	emacs
/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/emacs.html emacs.html
/software/emacs/manual/emacs.pdf	emacs.pdf
/software/libc/manual/html_node         libc
/software/libc/manual/html_mono/libc.html libc.html
/software/libc/manual/pdf/libc.pdf      libc.pdf

$ curl http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/emacs/
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<html><head>
<title>302 Found</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Found</h1>
<p>The document has moved <a href="http://www.gnu.org/savannah-checkouts/gnu/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/">here</a>.</p>
<hr>
<address>Apache/2.4.29 Server at www.gnu.org Port 80</address>
</body></html>
-mike