Subject: bug#9872: hello project web page includes libc and autotools manuals?

From: Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 15:55:07 -0700

i don't think it costs us anything, so i'm not really worried

Agreed. Closing this bug.
But for the record will reply to your other comments.

    i guess it's a question of, have all the broken manuals been regenerated, 

I would hope so, by now, but I haven't checked.

    do we care if older local archives are broken ?

I don't :).

    what about older versions of manuals too ?
    https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/index-full.html

Well, Automake does not have any .symlinks for other manuals, so I
assume there are plenty of broken cross-manual links, but no one has
complained. Although I don't think that means much of anything.

In general, my theory on such cross-manual references is that for
decades it was essentially random whether it worked or not ... and it
mostly didn't. Which is why Patrice and I invented the htmlxref.cnf
system in the first place. So I can't get too excited about worrying
about previous attempts. It's not like it's terribly difficult to just
visit the other manual and find the node in question.

Anyway, doing nothing sounds like a good solution to me :). --best, karl.