Subject: bug#9851: No configure file in git cloned guile despite what README says

From: "J. Greg Davidson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 14:39:14 -0700

Thank you for pointing me to the HACKING file.  I hope
that someone will fix the README to reference it.  It would
also be appropriate to correct the HACKING file which says

"Then you must run the autogen.sh script, as described below."

but I do not recognize anything "below" as explaining autogen.sh
further - in fact there is no later mention of it!  Fortunately,
"./autogen.sh" did the trick with none of the scary configuration
"described below" being necessary.

I do not mean my feedback to be snarky but rather to assist
you in your commitment to have the latest Guile available to
testers beyond the development team.

Well, autogen.sh and configure both seem happy, but when I try
to run make I get:

  CC     libguile_2.2_la-scmsigs.lo
scmsigs.c:155:1: error: static declaration of 'GC_get_suspend_signal'
follows non-static declaration
/usr/local/include/gc/gc.h:1067:22: note: previous declaration of
'GC_get_suspend_signal' was here
make[3]: *** [libguile_2.2_la-scmsigs.lo] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/guile-2.0.3/libguile'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/guile-2.0.3/libguile'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/guile-2.0.3'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Perhaps my libgc is too new (7.3alpha1)  I'll fiddle around and
see what works.

Thanks,

_Greg

On Mon, 2011-10-24 at 02:43 -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> "J. Greg Davidson" <[email-masked]> writes:
> > I used the git command
> >   git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/guile.git
> > from the guile webpage
> >    https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/download.html
> > and got a nice directory with a README file which
> > tells me to run ./configure which does not exist.
> 
> The README for those who have downloaded a release tarball.  When
> downloading a development version from git, you must generate the build
> system yourself using recent versions of the autotools.  See the HACKING
> file for details.
> 
>     Best,
>      Mark