Subject: Re: bug#9848: libtool bootstrap fails with Solaris /bin/sh

From: Bob Friesenhahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 12:00:37 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> On 23 Oct 2011, at 23:19, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>> + func_quote_for_eval + : func_quote_for_eval_result=
>> + test 0 -gt 0 func_run_hooks_result=
>> + set dummy + shift func_options_prep_result=
>> + eval func_parse_options + func_parse_options + : func_parse_options_result=
>> + test 0 -gt 0 + func_quote_for_eval + : func_quote_for_eval_result=
>> + test 0 -gt 0 func_parse_options_result=
>> ./bootstrap: bad substitution
>
> Odd.  I took func_quote_for_eval right out of libtool... can you 
> figure out what particular substitution Solaris /bin/sh chokes on? 
> I guess I broke something when I unrolled the option parsing loop 
> (again, taken directly from libtool) to allow plugging additional 
> parse functions in to the bootstrap execution via bootstrap.conf.

Libtool does not use /bin/sh on Solaris because it uses the shell 
selected by autoconf.  This means that libtool's func_quote_for_eval 
is similarly broken with broken Solaris /bin/sh.

Bob
-- 
Bob Friesenhahn
[email-masked], http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/
GraphicsMagick Maintainer,    http://www.GraphicsMagick.org/