Subject: bug#9841: closed (Re: bug#9841: 23.3; rmail-edit-current-message adds extra '>'s to Froms...)

From: Mark Lillibridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2013 13:53:52 -0800

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Mark Lillibridge wrote:
> 
> > Start with a Rmail message (this one will do) not containing MIME that
> > contains lines like the following:
> 
> Actually, I can only reproduce this with a message that _is_ MIME, ie
> has a "MIME-version: 1.0" header (which almost everything does).
> For non-MIME messages, rmail-show-message-1 _does_ add >, which is
> why rmail-cease-edit tries to put them back. Anyway, I installed a
> change to make it not do that for MIME messages, which have not been
> unescaped during display.

    You're right; this problem does not occur with non-MIME messages
under 24.2 (my current test system).

    I think your patch may not work correctly if the user adds a "From "
line to a MIME message.  Seems like there are two choices: (1) give an
error in that case and refuse to exit editing (similar to the screwed up
headers case) or (2) unescape From lines when the edit starts and
re-escape them when the edit finishes.  (2) seems friendlier to users as
it means users don't have to manually escape From lines when editing.

- Mark