Subject: bug#9831: Your bug report re: o and c-o in RMAIL change buffer

From: Mark Lillibridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 20:09:02 -0700

Hi John.

You reported an Rmail bug October 22:

        When reading mail o writes the message to another file, or
    buffer if it is loaded.  It also changes to that buffer and this
    seriously interferes with work flow, as it is inconsistent with when
    the file is not in a buffer. This seems fairly recent behaviour and
    is causing significant problems.  Could it stay in the originating
    buffer, or have an option so to do?

We think we have a patch for your bug.  Could you please try the
following:

  * first, figure out again how to reproduce the problem you are seeing

  * evaluate the following elisp code:

(defun rmail-summary (&rest no-display)
  "Display a summary of all messages, one line per message.

If no-display is set, updates/creates the summary buffer, but does not
necessarily display it."
  (interactive)
  (rmail-new-summary "All" '(rmail-summary t) nil)
  (unless (or no-display (get-buffer-window rmail-buffer))
    (rmail-summary-beginning-of-message)))

  [just put mark and point around the above text then do M-x eval-region]

  * is the problem gone now?

    If that didn't work, can you please provide a more detailed
description of the problem you are seeing, including how to reproduce
it?

- Thanks,
  Mark