Subject: bug#9810: cw in viper mode clobbers clipboard

From: Bob Nnamtrop <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:12:36 -0600

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 10:44:31 -0600
>> From: Bob Nnamtrop <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>>
>> just typing 'cw' should not cause either clipboard or
>> primary to be altered. The word is highlighted but that should be it,
>> it should not go into primary (or clipboard or any other selection).
>> The way it is now the common (for me) work-flow (put something into
>> primary, go somewhere else, use cw then <middel mouse> to change that
>> word) described above does not work anymore. The changes to primary
>> and clipboard described in NEWS have nothing to do with this (or
>> should not).
>
> Can you tell me which function does the cw command run?
>

Well, I do not really understand the viper code, but some searching
and I found this comment at line 1602 in viper-cmd.el

;; This function is called by various movement commands to execute a
;; destructive command on the region specified by the movement command.  For
;; instance, if the user types cw, then the command viper-forward-word will
;; call viper-execute-com to execute viper-exec-change, which eventually will
;; call viper-change to invoke the replace mode on the region.