Subject: bug#9810: cw in viper mode clobbers clipboard

From: Bob Nnamtrop <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:09:58 -0600

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Lennart Borgman
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 18:48, Bob Nnamtrop <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> The point I make is that 'cw'
>> should not alter any of the selections (primary, clipboard, etc).
>
> Doing just 'cw' in viper actually deletes the word in the buffer so
> putting it on the clipboard is the expected behavior.
>

Well, I do not know if that is true or not from a technical
standpoint. But from the user perspective the word is not deleted
until you type some new text or hit <esc>. Right after typing cw the
word is still displayed and it is hi-lighted. So I would not say it is
deleted. There is no advantage to the user to clobber the selection
that that point, since they may want to use what was previously in
there.

I just tried what I originally describe in a terminal window (ie
starting from emacs -Q -nw) and it works as I expect. The previously
selected selection is pasted in to the hi-lighted word after typing
cw. Just like it all previous versions of emacs (terminal or not).

Bob