Subject: Re: bug#9810: cw in viper mode clobbers clipboard

From: Bob Nnamtrop <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 10:57:31 -0600

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Lennart Borgman
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 18:44, Bob Nnamtrop <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Lennart Borgman
>> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 18:18, Bob Nnamtrop <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>> But 'asdf' should have been pasted in. This also occurs with other
>>>> commands like 'ct', etc. This is very annoying and I cannot imagine
>>>> using the new version if this is not fixed.
>>>
>>> I think the current behavior is the correct one. Why do you think it
>>> is in error?
>>>
>>
>> Because the just typing 'cw' should not cause either clipboard or
>> primary to be altered.
>
> I do expect cw to cause the clipboard to change since something from
> the buffer is erased. I think most people would expect that too.
>
> However I do not understand the reason for why think differently.
> (Except that you find it inconvenient, but that is a different thing.)
>

Right after you type 'cw' nothing in the buffer is erased. The word is
hi-lighted but that is it. So it should not change any selection at
that point. Try what I describe in 23.3. You will see it is a
regression.

Bob