Subject: bug#9795: Disabling fortran (what's it for?)

From: Peter O'Gorman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 11:35:09 -0500

On 10/20/2011 07:47 PM, Peter O'Gorman wrote:

>
> I think that because the installed fortran compiler is somehow broken
> libtool detects that the compiler can not create shared libraries.
> Fortran being tested last must overwrite the varaibles that were set for
> the C and C++ compiler - so libtool does not create any shared libraries
> at all. I'll look into it.

The "can_build_shared" shell variable is not tagged (not one var per 
compiler), so even though the C and C++ compilers would work, any broken 
compiler that comes later in the tests will cause libtool to not build 
shared libraries.

The code in question is a bit of a mess and may take a little sorting out.

In the meantime, if you build libtool with

configure F77=no FC=no; make

then it should disable the fortran tag. The installed libtool script 
then will not be able to build fortran code, but the use of the 
installed build script to build packages is not encouraged anyway.

Your users with broken fortran compilers will continue to see brokenness 
building other packages, since most autotools based build systems embed 
some version of libtool.

Peter