Subject: bug#9793: closed (Re: bug#9793: 24.0.90; Unwanted tramp connection on eshell completion.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 12:59:03 +0000

Your bug report

#9793: 24.0.90; Unwanted tramp connection on eshell completion.

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
9793: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=9793
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#9793: 24.0.90; Unwanted tramp connection on eshell completion.
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 14:56:12 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Tramp has some code to guess whether it is in completion mode.
>
> Yuck!
>
>> Check of `non-essential' is one proof,
>
> Actually, no.  non-essential could be used for other things than completion.

Yes. But in the context of Tramp it is a good indicator.

> But that's not what I suggest.  I suggest to "blindly" return t for
> /<host>: only (as well as things like /ssh:<host>: I guess), but not for
> /<host>:<path> where we'd still connect and test whether it's indeed
> a directory.
>
>> Inside Tramp it could be behave such a way when it detects it is in
>> completion mode. That means, when `non-essential' is set to t. Shall I
>> do it this way?
>
> I suggest to do that regardless of whether we're in completion mode
> or not.

I've committed such a patch. It is good anyway, because it adds an
optimitation for Tramp.

This shall solve this bug. However, do we have other other primitive
file name operations, which are used for file name completion? We should
handle them as well.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 24.0.90; Unwanted tramp connection on eshell completion.
From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 06:53:17 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi all,

Eshell completion (pcomplete) fail when a hostname starting with "t" is
present in "~/.ssh/config".

To reproduce:
Create such a shortcut in "~/.ssh/config" say "toto".

Start eshell.
enter: cd \t and try to complete with <tab> (we want to complete to /tmp
here)

In GNU Emacs 24.0.90.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2011-10-18 on thierry-MM061
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11004000
configured using `configure  '--with-x-toolkit=lucid' '--without-gconf' '--without-gsettings''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Org-Agenda Week Diary Ddl Grid

Minor modes in effect:
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  anything-completion-mode: t
  anything-dired-mode: Enable anything completion in Dired functions.
Bindings affected are C, R, S, H.
This is deprecated for Emacs24+ users, use `ac-mode' instead.
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-g s <return> M-n <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> C-j <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <right> <right> <right> C-h f <return> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <up> <up> <up> <down> <up> 
<down> <up> q <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> C-z 
l <return> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <right> <backspace> 
M-x c o m p l e <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <up> <return> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> d e M-x <return> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
( d e f <backspace> M-x c o m p l e t i o n <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <return> C-< C-x k <return> 
M-x l i s p <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <return> <left> C-h f 
C-z C-g <right> <backspace> <backspace> C-z 1 <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <return> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> C-c a a C-x C-² M-x r e p o <
return>

Recent messages:
Preparing diary...done
Preparing diary...done
Preparing diary...done
Preparing diary...done
Preparing diary...done
Preparing diary...done
Preparing diary...done
Invalid face reference: quote [181 times]

Invalid face reference: quote [125 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow epa-mail emacsbug flow-fill smiley gnus-cite mail-extr qp
gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml nndraft nnmh utf-7 nnimap utf7 nnml
nnfolder netrc network-stream starttls tls gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache gnus-dired
debug find-func cal-iso preview prv-emacs tex-buf reftex-vcr reftex-dcr
reftex-auc reftex imenu reftex-vars font-latex latex tex-style tex
latexenc conf-mode newcomment vc-git xgit-dvc xgit xgit-annotate rect
dvc-annotate xgit-log dvc-revlist vc-rcs sh-script xhg-dvc xhg
xhg-annotate xhg-mq xhg-log dvc-diff uniquify dvc-fileinfo bzr-core
xdarcs-core xgit-core xhg-core xmtn-minimal naquadah-theme em-unix
em-script em-prompt em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl
em-basic esh-opt em-banner em-alias esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-ext
esh-proc esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode align-let server
slime-xref-browser slime-banner slime-tramp slime-asdf slime-fancy
slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references slime-scratch
slime-presentations slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-parse slime-repl image-file
newsticker newst-treeview newst-plainview newst-reader newst-ticker
newst-backend xdvi-search em-term term ehelp electric pdbtrack
whitespace paren time winner mime-w3m mime eword-decode mel path-util
mime-parse std11 luna mime-def mcharset mcs-20 mcs-e20 pces pces-e20
pces-20 broken pcustom poe w3m-load help-mode view avoid tramp-cache
tramp-sh recentf tree-widget savehist googlecl google-maps
google-maps-static google-maps-geocode google-maps-base json
simple-call-tree el-expectations el-mock csv2org iedit zop-to-char
mule-util alist pym static apel-ver product elscreen smallurl mm-url
xml-weather rectangle-utils tv-utils pcvs pcvs-parse pcvs-info pcvs-defs
pcvs-util auto-document autodoc mb-depth ioccur moz cl-info slime
hideshow hyperspec slime-autoloads ledger-config ledger esh-arg esh-util
woman man esh-toggle em-xtra flymake ipython python-mode info-look
ansi-color executable eldoc-eval eldoc no-word regex-tool
dired-extension image-dired yaoddmuse skeleton sgml-mode
emms-mplayer-config emms-playlist-limit emms-volume emms-volume-amixer
emms-i18n emms-history emms-score emms-stream-info
emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks emms-lastfm-client parse-time
emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon emms-browser sort emms-playlist-sort
emms-last-played emms-player-xine emms-player-mpd tq emms-playing-time
emms-lyrics emms-url hl-line emms-tag-editor emms-mark emms-mode-line
emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode
emms-player-vlc emms-player-mplayer emms-info emms-streams later-do
emms-source-playlist emms-source-file emms-player-simple emms-setup emms
emms-compat dvc-init bzr-gnus tla-gnus xgit-gnus xhg-gnus gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig nnir gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group
gnus-undo nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader dvc-gnus tla-core tla-autoconf tla-defs
dvc-log vc vc-dispatcher dvc-unified dvc-tips add-log diff-mode
ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-help ediff-util ediff-mult
ediff-init ediff dvc-autoloads dvc-core dvc-lisp dvc-buffers dvc-ui
dvc-register dvc-utils dvc-emacs ewoc dvc-defs dvc-site htmlize-hack
htmlize muse-colors muse-docbook muse-texinfo texnfo-upd texinfo
muse-latex muse-html muse-xml-common muse-wiki cus-edit cus-start
cus-load muse-publish muse-project muse-protocols muse-regexps muse
muse-nested-tags muse-mode muse-autoloads org-config-thierry org-crypt
cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays
hol-loaddefs vc-hg org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew
org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp ob-exp org-exp-blocks
org-info org-gnus org-docview org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-agenda appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs org-annotation-helper org-capture org-mks
remember org-remember org-datetree config-w3m w3m doc-view jka-compr
image-mode timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb w3m-ems wid-edit w3m-ccl ccl
w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util addressbook-bookmark message
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
firefox-protocol bookmark-uzbl-handler bookmark-firefox-handler
bookmark-extensions org ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
org-footnote org-src ob-comint ob-keys ob ob-eval org-pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-compat org-entities org-macs noutline outline cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs bookmark pp init-anything-thierry
anything-describe-keybindings anything-delicious anything-mercurial
anything-stgit anything-config browse-url rx anything-match-plugin xml
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap grep compile tramp tramp-compat
shell pcomplete comint ring format-spec tramp-loaddefs dired-x dired-aux
dired regexp-opt ffap thingatpt anything warnings epa-file epa derived
epg epg-config auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
macroexp assoc gnus-util time-date mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache
usage-memo eev-thierry edmacro kmacro iterator eev-all eev-mini-steps
eev-browse-url eev-langs eev-compose eev-glyphs disp-table eev-insert
eev-steps eev-bounded eev easy-mmode advice help-fns advice-preload cl
w3m-wget preview-latex tex-site auto-loads info easymenu tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind dynamic-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty
emacs)

-- 
  Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 59F29997