Subject: bug#9792: 24.0.50; process-file and space in filename

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 13:00:18 +0200

> Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 12:02:48 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > But I can C-u M-C-x process-file and get a backtrace like this one:
> > http://paste.pound-python.org/show/13964 if that is helpful.
> 
> Assuming that process-file is called with the name of the program
> being just "git", with no leading directories, it sounds like the
> problem is born inside call-process and its subroutines; I will have a
> look.

The problem happens when both of the following conditions are true:

  . the command being invoked is a batch file (git.cmd in this case)

  . the directory where it lives included parentheses

I cannot find a workable solution for this situation; the error
happens even if the batch file is invoked via the system shell.
Suggestions for solving this are welcome.  The relevant function is
w32proc.c:sys_spawnve.

Unless someone can suggest how to fix this, I'm inclined to tag this
problem as "wontfix", and suggest that Windows users do not install
such commands in a directory whose name includes parentheses.