Subject: Re: bug#9790: Cleaning up nobreak-char-display

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2020 15:17:53 +0100

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> After Emacs 24.1, we should clean up the nobreak-char-display mechanism.
>>> The highlighted chars should be in a variable, not hardcoded.  The name
>>> `nobreak-char-display' should probably be changed.  Also, we should
>>> figure out how to deal with the different Unicode space characters.
>>
>> The latter was fixed earlier this year, I think?
>>
>> As for having the former in a variable -- is that warranted?  It would
>> mean slowing redisplay down a bit, I guess?  I don't know whether that's
>> worth it.
>>
>> Any opinions?
>
> To address specific needs for highlighting Unicode space characters,
> in bug#44236 I resorted to the GNU ELPA package 'markchars' that has
> the variable 'markchars-nobreak-space-pattern' with a list of
> Unicode space characters.

So if there's a package that does provide this functionality, then we
don't really need to have it in-core, either (since it doesn't seem like
this is a feature tons of people crave), and I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no