Subject: Re: bug#9789: [patch] adding the option --without-compress-el to configure

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 21:02:39 -0400

>> > On Cygwin with low voltage notebooks, `make install' takes long time
>> > to compress the Lisp source files.
>> What percentage of the total time are we talking about?
> About 40 percent.  Below is the result of `time make install':

> --with-compress-el (default)

> real    30m45.598s
> user    3m51.413s
> sys     11m59.457s

> --without-compress-el

> real    17m5.293s
> user    1m59.270s
> sys     6m43.657s

I would think that the only relevant percentage is of total
compile+install time, since it's rather rare to install repeatedly
without compiling.

Or maybe I don't understand the intended use case (I can't remember the
last time I ran "make install" to tell you the truth).

        Stefan