Subject: bug#9782: closed (Re: bug#9782: 24.0.90; move-to-window-line not taking header line into account)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 16:03:03 +0000

Your bug report

#9782: 24.0.90; move-to-window-line not taking header line into account

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
9782: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=9782
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#9782: 24.0.90; move-to-window-line not taking header line into account
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: David Engster <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 18:00:39 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: David Engster <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 16:23:37 +0200
> 
> My report was motivated by seeing that the tooltip display of
> company-mode (currently in ELPA) broke due to the change in
> posn-actual-col-row. Company-mode happens to depend on the above test
> case, that means it first determines the actual row at point, moves to
> (1+ row) through move-to-window-line and then displays the overlay
> there. I don't know why it chooses this way to do this, but it has
> worked for years, so I figured move-to-window-line has to be fixed.  If
> this new behavior is the correct one, then please close this report and
> I will send a bug report to the author of company-mode.

I'm closing the bug report.  My opinion is that company-mode should
either change the way it computes the line to move to, or account for
the header-line itself (e.g., by looking at the value of
header-line-format).  If the author of that package disagrees, I
suggest that he or she starts a discussion on emacs-devel.

Thanks.

Subject: 24.0.90; move-to-window-line not taking header line into account
From: David Engster <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 14:03:13 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Recipe:

* emacs -Q

* Enter in scratch buffer:

(move-to-window-line (cdr (posn-actual-col-row (posn-at-point))))

and enter an additional newline so this is not the last line in the buffer.

* Move behind last bracket an hit C-x C-e

* Cursor will move to beginning of line, as expected.

* Now do M-: (setq header-line-format "") RET

* Evaluate the above again. You'll see that cursor now will move to the
  beginning of the next line, which is wrong.

This behavior occurs since rev. 106022, which fixed posn-actual-col-row
when a header-line is active, but it seems move-to-window-line now has
to be fixed as well.

Cheers,
David