Subject: Re: <stdalign.h>, USE_LSB_TAG, and MSVC

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 06:04:57 +0200

> Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 20:24:31 -0700
> From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
> CC: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> 
> Here's a patch to the Emacs trunk (bzr 106094) to cause it to use
> <stdalign.h> if available, falling back on a Gnulib replacement
> otherwise.  This simplifies Emacs proper, and should future-proof it
> for C1X compilers.

Do we need to install this before the release?  What bug(s) does it
fix?

> Although this patch is mostly just a cleanup patch for GNU and POSIX
> platforms, it may improve performance on some Microsoft hosts, as it
> contains code for supporting <stdalign.h> under MSVC.  As far as I can
> see, USE_LSB_TAG currently doesn't work with MSVC, so if this patch
> works it should increase the maximum Emacs buffer size in that
> environment.

The MSVC build is currently partially broken.  A user submitted
patches a few months ago, but they are not yet installed; they need
some work before they can be.