Subject: bug#9767: closed (Re: bug#9767: 24.0.90; gdb initialization on Cygwin)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 22:02:02 +0000

Your bug report

#9767: 24.0.90; gdb initialization on Cygwin

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
9767: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=9767
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#9767: 24.0.90; gdb initialization on Cygwin
From: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 17:59:27 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 10/22/2011 4:58 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
> I'm not closing this bug report yet because I want to wait and see how
> the Cygwin problem is resolved.

This has now been fixed in the Cygwin development trunk.  The fix will 
be in Cygwin 1.7.10, which will probably be released before Emacs 24.1, 
so I'm closing the bug.

Subject: 24.0.90; gdb initialization on Cygwin
From: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 12:02:59 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When I start a debugging session with M-x gdb, initialization doesn't
appear to complete.  I don't get the "(gdb)" prompt, and the mode line
continues to say "initializing".  If I press Return, I get the prompt
and the mode line changes to "ready".  Everything works fine after that.
This seems Cygwin-specific; it doesn't happen on GNU/Linux.

I've checked that all the strings that emacs sends to gdb during
initialization (via gdb-input) do in fact get sent.  And I've tried
sending those same strings to gdb outside of emacs (except for
"-inferior-tty-set..."), and nothing strange happened.  In particular, I
did have a "(gdb)" prompt at each stage.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might cause this or how I
can debug it?  I don't have any experience with elisp debugging, so I
would appreciate a few pointers to help get me started.

Thanks.

Ken

In GNU Emacs 24.0.90.1 (i686-pc-cygwin, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
  of 2011-09-26 on moufang
Windowing system distributor `The Cygwin/X Project', version 11.0.11101000
configured using `configure 
'--srcdir=/usr/src/emacs-24.0.90-1/src/emacs-24.0.90' '--prefix=/usr' 
'--exec-prefix=/usr' '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' 
'--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--localstatedir=/var' 
'--sysconfdir=/etc' '--datarootdir=/usr/share' 
'--docdir=/usr/share/doc/emacs' '-C' 'CC=gcc' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2