Subject: Re: bug#9766: 24.0.50; rmail-forward makes attachment that doesn't read right

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 09:26:18 -0400

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 09:01:21 -0400
> 
> >> > Anyway, if you want to forward the raw form, all you have to do is
> >> > type v.  That works, too.
> >> Not using Rmail myself, I don't know what `v' runs.
> > `v' shows the raw message as it came in the mbox file.
> 
> So it would be equivalent to "resend" rather than to "forward", right?

No, it's still "forward".  The raw message gets appended to whatever
you type in the mail composition buffer, before sending the result.

The difference is that what gets appended is the original mbox format,
complete with MIME headers and bodies of the attachments to that
original.

By contrast, forwarding without the preceding `v' appends the
formatted message, which includes buttons we create out of the MIME
attachments.  However, these buttons are copied as plain text, which
of course is useless to the addressee of the forwarded mail.

I think the result after `v' was also incorrect, perhaps because the
way sendmail.el calls mml-to-mime is not entirely correct when the
body already includes attachments.  I will have a second look when I
have time (unless Richard beats me to it).