Subject: bug#9754: Issue with Emacs 23.4

From: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 18:28:59 -0400

On 5/15/2012 5:51 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 05/15/2012 12:08 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
>
>> I think this bug still exists, in slightly different form, in
>> emacs-24.  The call of g_main_context_query in xgselect.c:62 still
>> uses the variables gfds and gfds_size, which are not initialized by
>> xgselect_initialize if we're running emacs -nw.
>
> They are initialized to NULL and zero, which should work for
> all their uses.

I don't know if we can be sure of this without digging into the various 
GLib functions that get called in the xg_select code.  I've been getting 
some crashes of emacs -nw on Cygwin after Cygwin's glib was updated to 
2.32 a few days ago.  That's what led me to start looking at xg_select.

But the point is moot if we're going to apply the patch we're discussing 
(which gets rid of the crashes).

>> more fundamentally, it doesn't make sense for emacs -nw to be interacting
>> with GLib at all.  I suggest the attached patch.
>
> That patch assumes C99's statements before declarations.
> I assume the following minor rewrite of it is OK too?

OK with me.  Should I go ahead and apply it to the trunk?  Or is it 
appropriate for the emacs-24 branch since it fixes a Cygwin crash?  I 
guess that's up to Stefan and Chong, so I've added them to the CC.

Ken