Subject: Re: bug#9750: 24.0.90; Windows binary distribution build fails with 24.0.90 Pretest

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 03:39:10 -0400

Christoph Scholtes wrote:

> The automated Windows binary distribution build fails with the 24.0.90
> Pretest because the `mingw32-make dist' target cannot find README.W32.
>
> There is a comment in `make dist':
> ## Exclude README.W32 because it is specific to pre-built binaries(?).

AIUI, README.W32 has information specific to the pre-built binaries
provided on ftp.gnu.org. Eg it starts:

  This README file describes how to set up and run a precompiled
  version of GNU Emacs for Windows.  This distribution can be found on
  the ftp.gnu.org server and its mirrors:

So it's inappropriate to include it in the source tarfile because it
contains information that is incorrect/irrelevant for people building
from source.

> README.W32 needs to be included in the
> tarball for `mingw32-make dist' to work.

But you're saying that you want to start from a source tarfile and make
a binary tarfile? I don't know how to reconcile these two.