Subject: Re: bug#9745: Restore vc-initial-comment functionality for VCS that support it

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 19:46:56 +0200

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Modern VCS do not have an initial message when adding a file (just RCS
>> did that -- maybe SCCS too), so that feature has been removed. 
>
> The variable is still defined (not even obsolete), still mentioned in
> the manual, and there is nothing in NEWS or ChangeLog that says
> "vc-initial-comment removed", so this is at least a doc bug.

commit 0ef87d60054fc1660413772cfb5598d2fb8a5fe5
Author:     Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
AuthorDate: Fri Mar 23 20:31:53 2018 -0400

    * lisp/vc/vc.el (vc-initial-comment): Remove var unused since 23.2.

The variable was finally removed a couple of years ago, so I'm closing
this bug report.  (If somebody wants this functionality brought back, a
new wishlist bug report can be opened, but I can't recall seeing anybody
asking for that.)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no