Subject: bug#9745: 23.3; vc-register does not prompt for initial comment

From: Chris Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 04:21:42 -0700

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list
and the gnu.emacs.bug news group, and at http://debbugs.gnu.org.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give
a recipe starting from `emacs -Q':

Performing a vc-register never prompts for an initial comment.  The
variable vc-initial-comment is defined in vc.el, but it is never
referenced or used.

Previous versions of Emacs prompted for an initial comment by default,
but that feature seems to have gotten lost.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/23.3/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.12)
 of 2011-10-09 on rolf
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10502000
configured using `configure  'prefix=/usr''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Loading /home/carlson/emacs/gosmacs.el (source)...done
Loading /home/carlson/emacs/emacs.el (source)...
Loading /home/carlson/emacs/myfunc.el (source)...done
Loading /home/carlson/emacs/emacs-2003.el (source)...
Loading cc-mode...done
Loading compile...done
Setting window height to 65
Loading /home/carlson/emacs/emacs-2003.el (source)...done
Loading /home/carlson/emacs/emacs.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-\ C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message idna sendmail ecomplete rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util
netrc time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock
sha1 hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug compile comint ring cc-mode
cc-fonts easymenu cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs regexp-opt tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
x-win x-dnd font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
system-font-setting font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 

    Chris            http://members.cox.net/cwcarlson