Subject: bug#9741: closed (Re: bug#9741: 24.0.90; configure: prefer -ltinfo over -lncurses)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 01:10:02 +0000

Your bug report

#9741: 24.0.90; configure: prefer -ltinfo over -lncurses

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
9741: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=9741
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#9741: 24.0.90; configure: prefer -ltinfo over -lncurses
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 21:08:27 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.2

Sven Joachim wrote:

> It would be nice if `configure' were looking for libtinfo and prefer
> to use -ltinfo over -lncurses.

Implemented (for gnu* systems).

Subject: 24.0.90; configure: prefer -ltinfo over -lncurses
From: Sven Joachim <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 20:54:10 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Package: emacs
Severity: wishlist

It is possible to build a separate terminfo library from the ncurses
sources by configuring ncurses with the "--with-termlib" option.  This
library is usually called libtinfo, and several GNU/Linux distributions
are using this option; Fedora since Version 7 (May 2007), Ubuntu since
version 11.10 (to be released tomorrow) and Debian in testing/unstable
for two weeks.

If ncurses is built this way, Emacs only needs symbols from libtinfo,
but with the current `configure' script links against libncurses
unnecessarily.  It would be nice if `configure' were looking for
libtinfo and prefer to use -ltinfo over -lncurses.