Subject: Re: bug#9741: 24.0.90; configure: prefer -ltinfo over -lncurses

From: Sven Joachim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 19:24:27 +0100

On 2011-12-26 16:28 +0100, Jan Djärv wrote:

> Is this regarded as a feature, for after the release?

It's not particularly urgent, since libncurses is rather ubiquitous on
GNU/Linux, and the extra linkage probably does not have much impact on
startup time and memory footprint.

> 12 okt 2011 kl. 20:54 skrev Sven Joachim:
>
>> Package: emacs
>> Severity: wishlist
>> 
>> It is possible to build a separate terminfo library from the ncurses
>> sources by configuring ncurses with the "--with-termlib" option.  This
>> library is usually called libtinfo, and several GNU/Linux distributions
>> are using this option; Fedora since Version 7 (May 2007), Ubuntu since
>> version 11.10 (to be released tomorrow) and Debian in testing/unstable
>> for two weeks.
>> 
>> If ncurses is built this way, Emacs only needs symbols from libtinfo,
>> but with the current `configure' script links against libncurses
>> unnecessarily.  It would be nice if `configure' were looking for
>> libtinfo and prefer to use -ltinfo over -lncurses.