Subject: Re: bug#9732: bug or feature?

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 09:40:41 -0600

tag 9732 notabug
thanks

[re-adding the list]

On 10/12/2011 09:36 AM, Anton Shevtsov wrote:
>>> if first letter in uppercase, we get
>>> [shev_ay@pandora Admins]$ id -a Shev_ay
>>> uid=1062(shev_ay) gid=513(DomainUsers) groups=513(DomainUsers)
>>
>> Given the magic group 513 as DomainUsers, I can't help but wonder if
>> this is on Windows, perhaps via the cygwin port. If so, your question
>> is better asked to the place that ported id to your platform - cygwin
>> may very well have a quirk in exposing window's case-insensitivity
>> when it queries the user database.
>
> Eric, thanks for reply.
> No Windows anywhere :)
> Users accounts into ldap (openldap). DomainUsers creating for WIndows
> compatibility and not used.
> I am login into CentOS5, run id command and see this :)
>
> I trying for three different platform (three domains)
> 1) samba 3.4.8+openldap
> 2) samba 3.4.8+port389
> 3) samba 3.4.8+fedora directory server

So the problem is not Windows, but in Samba's emulation of Window's 
case-insensitive quirks.  That is, samba is the culprit that is treating 
your database queries case-insensitively, since samba must interact with 
windows, and windows does the same.

> Users getting from files, ldap (/etc/nsswitch.conf) always.
>
> The result is equivalent to anywhere. It's my side problems or what? :)
> Help :)

You can run strace to see what the actual kernel calls and results were. 
  Coreutils is not at fault here - it is something in the kernel itself 
(most likely, how the kernel is interacting with samba, and thus in 
samba rather than in the kernel proper) that is providing the results 
you are seeing.

I'll go ahead and mark this bug done on the coreutils side.  You can 
continue to add comments as you learn more information, but at this 
point, I see nothing that coreutils needs to change, rather that you 
need to pursue elsewhere, such as on a samba list, for more answers.

-- 
Eric Blake   [email-masked]    +1-801-349-2682
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org